Tuesday, April 13, 2010
Springfest 2010 kicks off with scavenger hunt
Over 300 students at the University of Illinois Springfield are competing in a week-long challenge known as Springfest to see who can rack up the most points.
Springfest kicked off on Monday, April 13 in the SLB gym with a scavenger hunt for over 200 items, which students couldn't leave campus to find. Participants were given 45 minutes to come up with as many items as possible.
“It was very hectic. I mean we were running all over the place trying to find stuff,” said Joshua Hoff, a junior communication major.
The celebration involves teams of no more than twelve people. In additional to the scavenger hunt they also face off in a trivia night, dress to impress event, flag-n-chant and more. At the end of the week, the team with the most points wins a gift card to the restaurant of their choice and the distinction of being Springfest champions.
“It’s a huge thing on campus. It’s a very big community building activity. Students get to know each other and you get to know your friends better,” said Leslie Reutter, senior criminal justice major and co-coordinator of Springfest.
Springfest events taking place include:
* Monday, April 12: Scavenger Hunt at 9:30 p.m. in SLB Gym
* Tuesday, April 13: Trivia Night at 9:30 p.m. in SLB Gym
* Wednesday, April 14: Dress to Impress (Career Development Center) at 9:30 p.m. in SLB Gym
* Thursday, April 15: Flag-N-Chant at 9:30 p.m. in SLB Gym
* Friday, April 16: Dance from 9 p.m. -12 a.m. in SLB Gym
* Saturday, April 17: Sports Day with BBQ Dinner--Performance by Absolutely Perfect
For more information, contact Lakeshia Washington or Leslie Reutter at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 217-206-6463. You may also visit the Springfest website at www.uis.edu/studentlife/thingstodo/Springfest.html.