The University of Illinois Springfield will be holding its 40th anniversary Homecoming activities during the week of October 4 through 9. UIS Family Weekend will also coincide with the events on October 8 through 10. The theme of Homecoming Week 2010 is “Where Stars Are Born”.
The schedule of events for the week is as follows:
Monday, October 4
- Homecoming Pep Rally at 9:30 p.m. at The Recreation and Athletic Center (TRAC). First 200 students with ID through the door will get a free homecoming T-shirt. Arrive early because they go fast!
Tuesday, October 5
- Lunchtime Games: Mashed Potato Sculpting from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the PAC Food Emporium Patio (Rain location: PAC Concourse).
- UIS Women’s Volleyball vs. Robert Morris at 7 p.m. at the TRAC.
- Make Your Own Spirit Wear at 9:30 p.m. in the Food Emporium. Paints, poster board, and blank T-shirts will be provided.
Wednesday, October 6
- Wacky Wednesday: Football Punt from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the UIS Quad.
- Neo-Futurists performance at 9:30 p.m. in Brookens Auditorium, located on the lower level of Brookens Library. The Neo-Futurists are a collective of wildly productive writer/director/performers who create theater that is a fusion of sport, poetry, and living newspaper.
Thursday, October 7
- Lunchtime Games will be held from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the PAC Main Concourse.
- Homecoming Happy Hour from 5 at 7 p.m. at Floyd’s Thirst Parlor located at 210 South 5th Street, Springfield.
- Lincoln Legacy Lecture Series: “Lincoln and Race” from 7 to 9 p.m. in Brookens Auditorium, located on the lower level of Brookens Library.
- UIS Women’s Volleyball vs. Quincy at 7 p.m. at TRAC.
- Homecoming Dance at 9:30 p.m. in the SLB Gym. Dance the night away for Homecoming. Dress is semi-formal.
Friday, October 8
- Brookens Library Book Sale from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. under the Brookens Overhang.
- Prairie Star Volunteer Service Event from 1 to 4 p.m.
- UIS Women’s Soccer vs. St. Joseph at 5 p.m. at Kiwanis Stadium.
- Pack the Field (Student Cookout) at 6:30 p.m. on the east side of Kiwanis Stadium.
- UIS Men’s Soccer Game vs. St. Joseph at 7:30 p.m. at Kiwanis Stadium. A fireworks display will be held immediately following the game.
Saturday, October 9
- 5K Run/Walk starting at 9 a.m. at TRAC. Cost is $10 until 9/24; $15 after.
- Tech Tools and Gadgets at 10:30 a.m. in UHB 2027. Presented by Kara McElwrath, join us as we explore first-hand the vast array of technologies available at UIS. Learn how we are leveraging technology to help students succeed at UIS!
- “Through the Decades” Luncheon from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Sangamon Auditorium Lobby.
- Strawbridge-Shepherd House Tour from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. located on Shepherd Road (between UIS & Lincoln Land).
- Solar Telescope Showcase from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. on the UIS Quad.
- UIS Homecoming Parade & Pet Parade at 5 p.m. on the UIS Campus.
- UIS Homecoming BBQ & Lawn Party from 5:30 to 7 p.m. on the South Quad. Come join us after the Homecoming Parade for free food, drinks, and fun. Don't forget to bring your I-card!
- UIS Students vs. UIS Alumni/Faculty/Staff BB Game at 7 p.m. at TRAC.
For more information, contact Cynthia Thompson, director of UIS Student Life at 217/206-6665 or visit www.uis.edu/homecoming.