Wednesday, September 16, 2009
UIS Homecoming and Family Weekend
The University of Illinois Springfield will be holding its annual Homecoming activities during the week of September 28 through October 3. UIS Family Weekend will also coincide with the events on October 3 and 4. The theme of Homecoming Week 2009 is “There’s No Place Like Homecoming.”
The schedule of events for the week is as follows:
Monday, September 28
- “Network: Strategic Alliances” from 6 to 8 p.m. in the Sangamon Auditorium Lobby. Beth Reutter of the Hospitality Program at the U of I in Champaign will present the program about networking skills. Go to www.uis.edu/careerservices to register or for more info or call 217-206-6508.
- Homecoming Pep Rally at 9:30 p.m. at The Recreation and Athletic Center (TRAC). First 200 students with ID through the door will get a free Homecoming T-shirt.
Tuesday, September 29
- Homecoming Court voting and Mashed Potato Sculpting from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the Public Affairs Center (PAC) Food Emporium Patio (Rain Location: PAC Concourse).
- Make Your Own Spirit Wear at 9:30 pm in the Food Emporium. Paints, poster board and blank t-shirts are provided.
Wednesday, September 30
- Homecoming Court voting and Over the Rainbow Relay Race from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the UIS Quad
- Neo-Futurists performance at 9:30 p.m. in Brookens Auditorium, located on the lower level of Brookens Library. The Neo-Futurists are a collective of wildly productive writer/director/performers who create theater that is a fusion of sport, poetry, and living newspaper.
Thursday, October 1
- Homecoming Court voting and Come on 6’s dice game from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the PAC Main Concourse.
- Homecoming Dance at 9:30 p.m. in the Student Life Building gym. Dress is semi-formal.
Friday, October 2
- Volunteer Service Event from 1 to 5 p.m.
- UIS Women’s Soccer vs. Bellarmine at 5 p.m. at Kiwanis Stadium
- Student Cookout at 6:30 p.m. on the east side of Kiwanis Stadium
- Movie: Wizard of Oz at 7 p.m. in Brookens Auditorium
- UIS Men’s Soccer Game vs. Bellarmine at 7:30 p.m. at Kiwanis Stadium. A firework display will be held immediately following game.
Saturday, October 3
- Yellow Brick Road 5K Run/Walk at 9 a.m. at TRAC. Cost is $10 for UIS students; $15 for non-students and $20 the day of the event. Registration deadline is September 16, and t-shirts will be provided to those registered by the deadline.
- Educational Technology Showcase at 10:00 a.m. in Brookens Library 141A on the lower level.
- Family Weekend Luncheon from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in PAC rooms C and D. Reservations are required.
- UIS Homecoming Parade at 5 p.m. on the UIS Campus.
- Homecoming BBQ & Lawn Party from 5:30 to 7 p.m. on the east side of Kiwanis Stadium.
- UIS Students vs. UIS Alumni/Faculty/Staff Basketball Game at 7 p.m. at TRAC
For more information, contact the UIS Student Life Office at 217/206-6665 or go online to the Homecoming Web site at http://www.uis.edu/homecoming.